Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Tomato Butter Sauce with Gnocchi

You may have noticed that I put the sauce before the gnocchi in the title. This may be because I still have a lot to learn about making potato gnocchi but I really wanted to emphasize the sauce in this recipe. This is one of my favorite food discoveries in quite some time.I could tell before I made it that I was going to like it, and why wouldn't I like it?  It has butter and tomatoes in it.



Whether or not you want to make gnocchi this video is well worth watching for the tomato butter sauce she prepares to serve with the gnocchi. The recipe is as easy as it is delicious. I made a few changes and additions. This is a perfect sauce for gnocchi and would go well with raviolis or tortellinis. I looked around on the web in Italian saw no recipe for this sauce although it seems quite a standard among American cooks and seems to have it's roots in Marcella Hazan's recipe.

Tomato Butter Sauce

2 cans whole tomatoes, crushed
1 can tomato concentrate (the concentrate here isn't as strong as in the USA)
100 grams butter
1 whole onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper

Put all of these ingredients into a pot and simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and mix with a hand blender. That's it. Toss gently with the gnocchi and perhaps shred a bit of Parmesan cheese on top and you have a great second dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.