Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Thursday, August 02, 2018

DIY vs The Food Industrial Complex

I had a momentary fit of laziness and bought a jar of mayonnaise from the supermarket. It was almost sickly sweet and didn’t have any of the fullness and richness of the stuff that I make at home. My mayo is so good that you could eat it like ice cream.

My ingredients:

1 raw egg
Cup of extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup of sunflower oil
3 cloves of garlic I mash in a mortar
1 shot of Vinegar
Tsp of Dijon mustard
Pinch of salt
Some other spice according to my whim. I used pimentón and a pinch of chili powder in my last batch

That is it. There are no chemicals, no weird stuff. Then I looked at the label of the store bought crap.

Sunflower Oil 65% - *Your guess is as good as mine concerning the other 35%. Motor oil? Baby oil?

Xanthan gum - *WTF? From WIKI - Polysaccharide with many industrial uses and food additive. Effective thickening agent to prevent ingredients from separating. Derives name from the species of bacteria usedXanthomonas campestris. I like my gum to be named after bacteria.

May contain traces of mustard and milk - *I don’t really know what this one means. It may contain them if the guy who adds traces of mustard and milk showed up for work that day?