Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Words Are Fun


Good title, bad picture.
The Title

I have finally decided on the title for my book of Leftbanker essays. Words Are Fun seems dumb and unthreatening enough so as not to scare away people who aren’t too familiar with reading.

The Foreword

“I died laughing.”
Arthur Q. Benchley (1958-2005)

That is an actual testimonial from a former Leftbanker reader and the finest compliment I have ever received. My condolences go out to Arthur’s friends and family. Contrary to popular belief, laughing is not an easy way to go. Consult with a physician before reading. I would imagine that Arthur had some other health issues, but if he wants me to get credit for his demise I don’t see why I shouldn’t exploit it to sell some books. I don’t think he would have minded, but we’ll never know.

I wrote these essays in the morning the same as some people do the crossword puzzle. I could never make it through a crossword puzzle so I started writing humor. If you don’t think any of these essays are funny, don’t worry. This probably just means that you are a normal, well-adjusted person. Instead, you probably like reading books about country veterinarians or heroic, crime-fighting lawyers. There are none of those in this book. If there are any, something bad probably happens to them. Comedy is cruel that way. Please don’t blame me; I don’t make the rules.

Most of this stuff was first posted on the internet. Some people call the internet the information superhighway. I call it the virtual sewer. I pulled all of these words out of the gutter, hosed them off, and now you can read them in a handy book form. Words are fun. Go have fun.

Sincerely, Leftbanker
Seattle, Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.