Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Thinking Out Loud / Pensar En Voz Alta

Nothing to do with this essay.

● Unsolicited Advice from the Spanish Grandmother You Never Had 
Not everyone had an abuela who taught them how to cook. I wouldn’t say that I’m a close second to having a Spanish granny but I’m all you got. When making gazpacho don’t even think of skimping on the olive oil. Leave that low-fat nonsense for some other wimpy dish you have planned. As a matter of fact, this goes for just about every Mediterranean recipe so just turn the bottle upside down and let it pour.

Why Not Drink Wine?
Looking in my medicine cabinet it dawned on me that the off-brand mouthwash I have costs as much as a decent bottle of Spanish table wine. I’m not really smart enough to come to any meaningful conclusions on this observation but it seems like this should mean something. A glass of wine is almost always cheaper than a bottle of water in a café and I am smart enough to order wine instead of water.

To Cook or To Kebab?
If you find yourself watching cooking videos at 07:00 on a Saturday you’re probably going to spend a bit of time in the kitchen later in the day...or maybe you'll just get a kebab instead...and by "you" I mean "me."

Keeping Things in Perspective
There is a traffic light on the street in front of my apartment. For the longest time just about every time I was held up waiting for the light to change in my favor I would curse this bit of lost time and wonder about the things that I could have accomplished but didn't because I was stuck waiting for the damn light. Finally I timed the light changes: 30 seconds for pedestrians and one minute for cars. Just knowing that only one minute was the very longest my wait would be has made all the difference. Dude, it’s one minute, dude; even I can wait one minute. 

More About Food
 I have gone from just buying plants that take a long time to die to actually being able to grow things on my small patio. I would like to start farming some vegetables on a country plot as some friends of mine do. I like the idea of having a closer relationship to what I eat, at least as far as that is possible.  I don’t plan on raising chickens in my stairwell so relax, neighbors.

 ●  Comb Your Hair and Tuck in Your Shirt
One disadvantage to living in a city is that just a step out your door life can be painfully, sometimes embarrassingly public. I just took out a load of trash looking like a total slob who slept on a park bench (not a bad look for me). In the gauntlet of 25 meters between the front door of my building and the trash container I have to pass a supermarket and a bus stop. Believe me when I tell you that it’s very possible to be under-dressed for a trip to the dumpster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.