Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Notes from the Seattle Underground

I am feuding with my internet provider so I am forced to go out to coffee shops that offer a free wireless connection. This isn’t a bad deal although it isn’t too convenient at times. It also makes me feel like an even bigger Seattle cliché than I already am. Come on, a fucking laptop at the café? What’s next? Next will be me wearing socks with sandals or one of those stupid Rasta knit hats.

Right now I am on the second floor of a really cool coffee/donut shop. Top Pot Donuts is on Fifth and Blanchard right underneath the monorail. The two story glass façade lights up the second floor where I sit above the street. Bookshelves line the walls on both ends and a marble staircase joins the top and bottom. It has to be the world’s most glamorous donut shop

I bought a new commuter bike yesterday; or rather I bought about a 15 year old Cannondale mountain bike that I tricked out with all of the stuff from my busted commuter bike. It is pretty decent and a lot easier to ride around town than my fussy full suspension mountain bike. It is also old enough not to be much of a candidate for theft like my expensive mountain bike. I looked at the odometer in my car the other day and I have put on less than 5,000 per year since I bought it. I have to log more miles than that on my bikes.

In other news from Seattle the city has made Regrade Park on 3rd and Bell into an off-leash dog park. Regrade Park is just a small corner lot that was always a cesspool of crack heads and passed-out drunks. Now it is a dog playground that I can’t help stopping by whenever I pass through. It looks like some sort of Lord of the Flies for canines. The dogs chase each other around and set up their mutt hierarchy with usually one of the smaller, scrappier breeds winning out. A couple of Seattle cops were checking out the park the other day and I asked them why they didn’t make this whole part of town an off-leash dog park and send the crack heads over to the next county. I call this park the Dog Zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.