Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2004

Dogs Bring Out the Best in People

I was dog-sitting a friend’s pit bull puppy yesterday. It isn’t really her dog. She has it on loan from the pit bull adoption agency or whatever the hell it is. Francis is about three months old and if there is something cuter than a pit bull puppy you guys have been keeping it from me my entire life.

I walked Francis from my apartment to the new dog park on 3rd and Bell that I wrote about before, or the Dog Zoo as I call it. She’s not the most enthusiastic of walkers and from time to time, for no apparent reason, she would plant all four legs firmly on the ground and make me stop—not good when crossing a busy street. I had to pick her up and carry her across the busiest intersections. Seattle is a very dog-friendly town so just about every pedestrian we passed stopped to marvel at Francis’ cuteness. A little girl about six years old was petting her. I told her to be careful because just the other day Francis licked a little kid so bad he had to go to the hospital. The little girl froze up for a second before she understood I was joking.

The puppy went over big at the dog park. Francis got into a little scuffle with a very aggressive cairn terrier (That Toto dog) but after I scolded her she cleaned up her act and played nice. There were about fifteen dogs at the park and it was a freaking free-for-all: Every dog for himself. As this was lunch hour there was a veritable crowd outside the fences as other people are as entertained by watching dogs play as I.

After we got back to my apartment Francis peed on the rug by my door. After that I cooked lunch and the dog passed out. I can’t have a dog for a lot of reasons but on this afternoon my day was a lot better than days when I don’t have a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.