Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Tortilla Soup


I made this soup for a group of friends the other day and when I looked for a similar recipe on YouTube all I found were horrible variations, most of which used little in the way of fresh ingredients. In one video a guy ws wearing a chef coat as he added nothing but manufactured products to his soup. I didn’t think that any of them exploited the two main ingredients: chicken and corn tortillas. I guess that I’ll have to make my own video of this easy classic.

Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
1 Whole Chicken
Package of Corn Tortillas
Carrots, Onion, Garlic, Celery, Turnip, Parsnip
(I buy these fresh vegetables in a package in the supermarket)
Cooked Corn
3 Bay Leaves
5 Whole Black Pepper Corns
Cilantro
Salt

Cut up the chicken and put it in a stock pot of water with the vegetables, bay leaves, pepper corns, and salt to taste. Boil this for about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces and put in a bowl to cool. Continue to cook the vegetables in the pot. Remove the meat from the chicken and return bones and skin to the pot and cook for about 40 minutes. Strain the broth and discard the vegetables and the bones. In the pot of broth add the corn tortillas and liquefy with a hand blender. Add the pieces of cooked chicken, cooked corn, and shredded cilantro.

*You can put other vegetables in the soup. I put in fresh green beans with mine the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.