Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

¡Salud!

I have the constitution of a medieval peasant, the kind of peasant who didn’t have some sort of debilitating disease which killed him at age 27.  I meant the good kind of peasant who could work in the field 14 hours a day and still find the energy to go to the grog house every evening.  I wouldn’t say that I take my good health for granted as I have spent a good part of my life either sitting on a bike or in a gym. If there is one single thing that I miss from my life in Seattle it was my neighborhood gym where you could find me 5-6 days a week. It takes a lapse in good health to really make you appreciate what you have.

My fucking knee was killing me for a while. I basically just ignored it and hoped the pain would go away. The pain was getting worse to the point that I couldn’t even sleep. I have a doctor friend here who specializes in this sort of thing and he simply recommended Diclofenac, a non-steroidal anti-inflamatory.  I went from pure misery to bliss in 24 hours. I slept like a baby last night and woke up this morning with a new knee. I can’t even describe the relief that I feel now, more mental than physical as I was freaking out that I may need another operation on my left knee. I had some meniscus removed from that knee about 14 years ago and have sort of worried about it since.  I was sure that I had another knee operation in my very near future but now I feel like I could run a 10k…and I hate running.

This episode really made me see Jesus and I plan on really getting into better shape. I’m already in decent condition as I ride a bike freaking everywhere and back. It is nothing for me to run up 10 flights of stairs on a whim instead of taking the elevator(at least when my knee wasn’t killing me). I actually love taking the stairs.  I joke about all of the pork I eat but most of my diet is fresh fruits and vegetables along with nuts and cereals.

I could really use some time in the gym, however. There just aren’t any gyms near my house here in Valencia so I suppose I will have to be content with biking and other exercises like my push-up routine brought to you by Herschel Walker (an American football player who would do 1,000-1,500 push-ups a day—I do 1,000 every three days).

Taking the Diclofenac also means that I have to eat at regular times because you can’t take it on an empty stomach. I am now forced to have more than coffee in the morning which is a lot better for my metabolism.  In the morning I make a shake with soy milk, a banana, and strawberries (they are great this time of year) along with a few tablespoons of cereal. Before I would only drink coffee in the morning and many days I wouldn’t eat a thing until lunch at 2 o’clock or so.

I have always said that your health is like saving money. The more you invest the better return you get later in life. Every penny you spend on exercise equipment, gyms, bikes, work-out clothes, etc. is the best money you will spend in your life. I think I will go out today and buy myself a little something sports-related to celebrate the end of my knee pain.

On my bike ride this morning I was literally weeping with joy because my knee finally felt good again and I felt STRONG like bull. I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to beat me up fro crying but first you'll have to catch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.