Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Friday, August 09, 2002

Cure for the Common Cold

Yesterday I vanquished Alzheimer’s and today the common cold. Actually, this deals with both cold prevention and also a cure. By the way, this isn’t a joke. Ask anyone who knows me and they will have to tell you that I haven’t been sick at all in about five years. By sick, I mean for more than 48 hours, the time it takes me to cure myself of cold and flu symptoms.

Prevention first: Never touch your eye. If you have something in your eye use a tissue to extricate the object. I suppose this is common sense. The membrane tissue in the eye is a direct conduit to your bloodstream. Next, and this may sound gross, when you shower make sure you shower your nose. No shit. Just squirt a little hot water in and blow it out. I recently read a study that backed up my long-held theory and it has to do with germs taking root in your nasal passages. These viruses generally take between 8-48 hours to enter the body via the membranes in the nasal cavity. I know it sounds weird but it beats the shit out of walking around coughing and hacking 2-3 times a year for two weeks or so.

Here is the cure: This is been a Leftbanker medical breakthrough and just remember that you heard it here first. When you do find that you are coming down with a cold, get yourself to a steam room or a sauna as quickly as possible. I can tell the moment I am coming down with a bug. I can feel it when I swallow. My gym has a steam room and sauna side-by-side so I stay in the very hot steam room and then “cool down” in the sauna. A twenty minute sweat session should do it.

I am really sick of writing in this thing so I thought I would at least impart something that may do the world a bit of good. I have a sneaking suspicion that this technique is already known by the medical community and has been kept a secret. Cold remedies are one of the big earners for the drug industry and none of them do a bit of good. In fact, I would say that taking medicine, any medicine, when you have a cold is about the worse thing you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.