Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Friday, September 17, 2021

Thank You for Laughing

 

My “humor” doesn’t always translate in Spain, and it took me a while to get my speaking ability up to a point to where I could even dream of making a joke in Spanish. So this morning I was overjoyed when the woman at the supermarket cash register laughed out loud at the gag I fed her as I was paying for my five items.

The store had been closed for a month undergoing a major remodeling overhaul. When finished, they had thoroughly rearranged the entire inventory so nothing was where it was before. When it was my turn, I set my stuff on the belt.

“In spite of all of your recent changes, it didn’t take me long at all to find these five things,” I said.

She looked bored and surprised that a customer was addressing her, but she took the bait.

“That’s nice. How long did it take you?” she asked.

I looked at my watch.

“I got here last night at about eight.”

I swear, it didn’t sound like a fake laugh, like the sort she might do just to get rid of me, but maybe she's good at fake laughs.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.