Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Friday, November 04, 2011

The Mushroom Season that Wasn't

A favored mushroom in Valencia: Rovelló

I was awakened at around 05:30 this morning by a very unfamiliar noise: the sound of rain of the rooftops. We’ve had precious little rain these past several months and not nearly enough.  This morning’s steady rain seems like an attempt to play catch-up in this dry autumn.  I’m afraid that it’s probably too little and too late to salvage this autumn’s mushroom season.  I think we probably needed the rains a few weeks ago to really have a successful year. You can find some species of mushrooms in the market but they are REALLY expensive and only a few select merchants have them for sale. I imagine that they have come from another area of Spain. 
We have had a bit of rain this past week. I’ll make my way over to the market this morning to see what they have to offer. I've been drooling over the thought of a mushroom risotto.

Some good tips on making risotto.

And now to ensure authenticity, another video in Italian:

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.