Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Another day, another holiday

Another day, another holiday


Today is El Día de los Reyes Magos, or Three Kings Day, which is when people hand out gifts to their kids. It is January 6th and they are still screwing around with the Christmas holiday. On the surface it is the celebration of the Epiphany, or the day Jesus was revealed as the savior, but it just seems like another excuse to ir de puente as they say here in Spain, or stretch a holiday into two solid weeks of vacation. Good for them.

As with everything else they do, much of this holiday relates to food. The big tradition on this day is the round holiday pastries they make called, rosca de reyes. Everything will be closed except for everything run by immigrants. I stocked up an enough food to feed everyone on my block. I usually buy whatever looks good and then decide later what I'm going to do with it. I picked up some tomatoes and a couple of eggplants.

I plan on taking advantage of the lower level of automobile traffic to ride my bike to the nature park of Albufera. The park encompasses a huge marsh to the south of Valencia. I rode down there yesterday just to figure out how to get there from where I live without getting on the highway. It was a little bit of a puzzle getting there but after a few wrong turns I finally made it as far as El Saler. Today's ride should be less than 50 miles altogether. The weather is great, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.