Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Put a Bit of Bach in Your Daily Life



I can’t remember exactly where I heard it, but in one of the piano instruction videos I watched recently he advised that students play a bit of Bach every day. I would take that a step further and say that everyone should have a bit of Bach every day. These two-part inventions are standard fare for students, but I think that people who don’t play the piano can appreciate them strictly on their merits as great and interesting pieces of music.

I like these videos of kids playing the inventions, because it reminds me of my humble status as a wannabe musician, and also to stress the playful, almost childlike nature of these clever pieces. Again, I can’t remember where I read it, but one observer said that Bach cranked out these songs for his students in about the same manner as some people do the daily crossword puzzle in the newspaper (if that still makes any sense in our digital age).

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.