Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2015

File Under Audacity #210

I was buying a few things in one of Valencia’s ubiquitous green grocers that are almost the exclusive domain of Pakistani immigrants. As I placed my items on the scale the shop owner asked me if I wanted to buy a watermelon. I said that I didn’t, thank you very much, and he countered my knee-jerk dismissal of his offer by asking, “Why?”

You got me there, my man. I didn’t have a “because” for his “why,” at least not a good one, so I bought a beautiful watermelon. Not the most sophisticated sales pitch I’ve ever heard but his earnestness made me laugh.

Moral to the story: It’s summer; buy a damn watermelon already!

Estaba comprando algunas cosas en una de las verdulerías ubicuas de Valencia que son casi el dominio exclusivo de los inmigrantes paquistaníes. Al poner mis artículos en la escala el dueño de la tienda me preguntó si quería comprar una sandía. Le dije que no, muchas gracias, y él respondió a mi instintiva desestimación de su oferta con la pregunta "¿Por qué?" 

Me tienes allí, señoría. Yo no tenía un "porque" por su "¿por qué?", al menos nada bueno, así que compré una hermosa sandía. No es el más sofisticado argumento de venta que he oído, pero su seriedad me hizo reír.

Moraleja de la historia: Es verano; cómprate una maldita sandía ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.